Benalla Storm

Benalla Storm

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

HOME!!!

I MADE IT HOME!!!!

The temperature jumped up today and it was definitely the best day of the contest! Chris was kind enough to act as my brolly bitch in the hot conditions.  



It was a strange day. A strong line of cu along the Black Forest, a big blue hole that was only barely working, a strong section of cu along the Swabian Alps, back through the blue, and a ripper leg home. I am pretty sure most people got pretty low in the blue. Throughout the flight climbs were sporatic - one time taking a 4kt climb, the next being forced to accept a 1.5kt. I tried my best to stay with the gaggle, but found myself slipping behind, then caught up, and then fell behind again. I ended the day ahead of a few other gliders I spent the most time with. The biggest mistake of the day was leaving too early. All of the best competitors left about 40 minutes after I did. But to be honest, I just wanted to get around, and was absolutely thrilled when I managed it! And Chris being a good crew brought me one of the most delicious beers I have ever had! 


Unfortunately one of the other competitors landed out in a poor paddock and is going to the hospital. Hopefully he will be alright!

Also be sure to check out the latest videos from Hubi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUaXK4zFmPQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjoMxNDCfDg

3 comments:

  1. It was good to see you make it home - it must have felt great.
    I have thought of my son as many things, but never as a brolly bitch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Selena! Remember the priorities:

    1. Stay airborne
    2. Make it around
    3. Be fast

    In that order

    Good Luck - JS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynne - It was sure a great feeling! And your son said he would never be my brolly bitch, but then the temperatures got very hot and I was very grateful for some shade!

    Joerg - I remember your words often while flying around the air! Thanks for the note :)

    ReplyDelete