Benalla Storm

Benalla Storm

Friday, August 12, 2011

Contest Day 2 was a very tough day. On tow I thought I back released about 100 feet on tow when the tow plane shot unexpectedly down creating a massive slack in the rope. I focused as hard as I could but tow was very tough, and it almost happened two more times. After release I found the thermals to be incredibly rough and broken. On one side they would be 6knots, the other side minus 4knots. It was very difficult to climb, especially when the gaggles were forming because everyone was low. Winds were very strong, approximately 30kph. It seemed like very strong lift was being produced due to the updrafts along the Schwarzwald. The day was forecast to cut off early, so I felt the need to get started as early as possible. I got up to 1500m and set off on task, roughly flying with a few other gliders. I think the working band was between 1300m-1500m, but finding massive sink in between thermals I very quickly fell out of this working band. Below this it continued to be very rough and broken. I took many thermals that felt strong on one side, but being unable to properly thermal it was very slow to gain any altitude. I circled in one spot for a very long time, but only gained a few hundred meters. When a few other gliders joined me at the same altitude I opted to set off with them. I took a slightly different route staying closer along the Schwarzwald, but keeping them in sight. We re-joined each other further along for another thermal, but this one was also not producing much altitude gain. I soon found myself out of altitude and out-landed in a good paddock.

No comments:

Post a Comment