Benalla Storm

Benalla Storm

Monday, August 1, 2011

Canadian Nats 2011 Overview

Chris told me that it's pointless to write about a contest weeks after it's finished, so I will give just a quick summary and some photos from the contest. If you want to hear more you can talk to me directly and I will be happy to give you some stories.
Canadian Nationals 2011. Photo credit Maria Szemplinska.
Overall the contest was really fun. The weather wasn't the best (an Australian friend sent me an email asking whether we were having the Canadian National Gliding Contest or the Canadian National Land-Out Contest), but good times were still had! Throughout the contest I tried to focus on flying consistently. I learned a lot about being patient while flying, and was able to stick it out on some pretty weak days and made it home. Of course, there were also days that I landed out, but always in safe paddocks, and never before giving some hard work in the air. One day in particular that sticks out in my mind is the day I had to take two re-lights before making it around the course and having my first day win (tied with Jim Fryatt).

I will let the pictures tell the rest of the stories.
Day 1 cancelled.At the waterfall with Jay Allardyce. Photo credit Chris Gough.
In the air.
First day win.
Late evening retrieve.
Pep talk on the grid with Chris. Photo credit Maria Szemplinska.
Chris and his crew Emil Kaminski getting ready. Photo credit Maria Szemplinska.
Final day land-out.

No comments:

Post a Comment