Benalla Storm

Benalla Storm

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A little background info...

How did I start flying and why do I continue to be empassioned by it?

In 2000 I joined the Royal Canadian Air Cadet Program with the hope of one day receiving my pilot's license.  In the summer of 2005 I attended a scholarship course where I earned my glider pilot's license.  Since that time flying gliders has become a very important aspect of my life.  I have continued flying with the Air Cadet Program, and received my instructor's rating in the summer of 2008.  

In the fall of 2007 I joined the Edmonton Soaring Club.  Although my preliminary interest was to be able to take friends and family flying, I soon developed a keen interest in the soaring and cross-country aspects of gliding.  In the summer of 2008 I attended SOSA's Canadian Junior Soaring Camp.  

In the summer of 2009 I decided to follow my dreams and made it my goal to represent Canada at the World Junior Soaring Competition to be held in Germany in the summer of 2011.  Putting my studies on hold, last winter I travelled to Australia to improve my cross-country flying abilities.  This past June I flew at the Canadian National Competition.  Although I did not win the contest, I performed well enough to garner the support of the Canadian Committee to represent the Canadian Juniors next year.  

This winter I will be returning to Australia to improve my contest flying experience.  I will be flying at the Australian Junior Gliding Contest (Joey Glide) and the Australian Club Class Nationals.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my post! I hope you will enjoy the stories and photos that make their way here. I look forward to your comments!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Selena. It's nice getting to know you a little more.
    Learning about your dreams and achievements, I feel proud to know you. Have an awesome time at Worlds.

    ReplyDelete